Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: A 'Roll of the Dice' in the SD Bay 1/10
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:24 Reply With Quote
A 'Roll of the Dice' in the SD Bay 1/10

The long awaited day was finally upon us and both SteveM and myself, and I'm sure a few of you as well, had the pre-fish jitters (little sleep, tossing and turning, saucer glazed eyes) in anticipation of an early rendezvous in Coronado for the SD Bay Day. Despite arriving in the dark, we were meet by fellow fliflicker Tod, who was bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to charge the bay at first light. The pre-dawn hour had several fliflickers waiting on the banks of the bay for a beautiful sunrise and good conditions.

Steve and I made our way to our first stop just outside of the Glorietta Bay as the sun was beginning to glow over the horizon. Our first bet paid off as we scored on grumpy spotted bay bass and a few small halibut in the first drift. We were joined by Tod who was scoring some spotties on the same table. After a couple of more productive drifts, Steve and I decided to check some new water. Bob Day and his partner rolled in on the En La Mosca as we were leaving and reported already having a double digit fish count in the bank from the back bay; so we decided to swap spots.

As we made our way to the back bay, we saw Randy, Al Q and BryanS on the Clouserhead, so we decided to drop in and see how they were doing. Turns out Bryan had stepped up to the 'Wishing Well' big time (story to follow later...maybe). The five of us teamed up and made a run to a spot that has held some fish for a couple of weeks. Upon arrival it was 'game on'. Both boats had multiple hook-ups as we drifted well within talking distance of each other for several passes. So far we had been on a roll, both spots had produced wide open style fishing on the spotties and Steve and I were well over the 70 fish mark. After the five of us had our fill on the bass, we decided to raise the stakes and target some bonefish, after all - we couldn't let Bryan's good karma go to waste (story to follow later...maybe).

We went our separate ways and after a couple of dry drifts on new water, Steve came tight on the first bonefish of the day, followed by my first bone of the day a couple of casts later. We called in the Clouserhead and it wasn't long before Bryan's karma was paying off. Bryan's first cast as they rolled into the area connected to a silver bullet. Both boats again, made several drifts within shouting distance and we 'hooted' each other on in what turned into a bonefish frenzy. Bryan put 4 bonefish on the Clouserhead as he was generously 'guided' by Randy and Al. Steve and I had 11 confirmed bonefish hook-ups (and a few misses) and landed 8 after several blistering runs. Bob Day had reported landing a bone earlier in the morning as well, which tallied 13 bones in one day for the Fliflicker crew... not bad :). Fishing from the boats seemed to make all the difference today as just a couple of degrees in water temp was what concentrated the fish. Steve and I only fished three spots all day. The first spot was a few miles from the other two (which themsevles were about a mile apart). The boat gave us the ability to run and gun as needed and reset our drifts with ease against the strong tidal movement.

We ended the day with lunch in the park with the rest of the group, about 15 in total. It was great putting faces to names and seeing friends. Randy, thanks for putting the idea out there. Guys, if there is anyway you can make the Long Beach 'Meet and Greet' day I would strongly encourage it. Not only are these get-togethers a way to spend a fun day with guys who LOVE the same style of fishing, it's an opportunity to make some new friends and learn some valuable information. Joe L is putting together an allstar line-up for the spring meet and greet and providing us with a great venue... Take advantage of it.

Looking forward to 4/11,

Dave
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:25 Reply With Quote
SD

Steve punching the pancake card early

Dave has attached this image:
SD Bay Day 1-10.09 001_resize.jpg - 123.92kb
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:26 Reply With Quote
SD

Doubles and even triples were common

SD Bay Day 1-10.09 002_resize.jpg - 119.33kb
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:27 Reply With Quote
SD

Padding the fish count with jackpot scores

SD Bay Day 1-10.09 003_resize.jpg - 132.39kb
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:28 Reply With Quote
SD

Grumpy bass in the back bay

SD Bay Day 1-10.09 004_resize.jpg - 99.83kb
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:29 Reply With Quote
SD

Steve getting it going on the bones

SD Bay Day 1-10.09 005_resize.jpg - 89.41kb
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:29 Reply With Quote
SD

SD Bay Day 1-10.09 006_resize.jpg - 92.35kb
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:31 Reply With Quote
sd

Steve: 'Thank you, may I have another?'

SD Bay Day 1-10.09 008_resize.jpg - 84.48kb
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:32 Reply With Quote
SD

SD Bay Day 1-10.09 009_resize.jpg - 138.13kb
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:32 Reply With Quote
SD

SD Bay Day 1-10.09 010_resize.jpg - 127.91kb
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:33 Reply With Quote
SD

SD Bay Day 1-10.09 011_resize.jpg - 126.08kb
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:34 Reply With Quote
SD

SD Bay Day 1-10.09 012_resize.jpg - 133.37kb
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:35 Reply With Quote
SD

SD Bay Day 1-10.09 015_resize.jpg - 106.31kb
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/1/09 at 22:35 Reply With Quote
SD

SD Bay Day 1-10.09 013_resize.jpg - 118.87kb
RichardCullip

[*] posted on 11/1/09 at 07:14 Reply With Quote

Wow! What a sweet day on the Bay. I wish I could have gotten down that way to join the gang.

Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
Kevin

Mood: Salty

[*] posted on 11/1/09 at 16:11 Reply With Quote
And by "Roll of the Dice," Dave means ...

... that some of us did better than others. I would characterize the day as "those that know what they are doing, did very well catching."

I, on the other hand, fall into the "other group." We did very well fishing - thank you very much. This "other group" doesn't like to bother the fish too much. Live and let live we say (I did release one nice spotty!). We tended to stay north of the bridge in our yaks, float tubes, and pontoons. From what I could tell, the only one of us in people-powered watercraft that did well was Kim. Kim subscribes to some theoretical philosophy (get the fly on the bottom) about where your flies should be in the water column (on the bottom), although he was vague (on the BOTTOM!!!) about the details of this philosophy (muddy, weedy BOTTOM, BOTTOM, BOTTOM, BOTTOM!!!!). Someday I'll figure it out.

Good to see everyone. The after party/BBQ was great. Thanks for the schooling. (If I screwed up any names, just let me know.)

Kevin

Kevin has attached this image:
SD Group (2).jpg - 855.58kb
FlyFlogger

Mood: Lets Fish :)

[*] posted on 11/1/09 at 17:36 Reply With Quote

Sounds like everyone had a great time in SD. After 5 weeks of working 4 days a week, we had something at work come up Friday that just had to be done by Monday and there went my trip. I wouldn't mind so bad if I didn't already have my truck loaded-up and ready to head South with everybody. Even though this was mis-fire for myself, I'll post when I plan to hit the surf or bay locally to see if somebody wants to join me in the future. TC&TL,

Perry
JoeA

[*] posted on 11/1/09 at 20:34 Reply With Quote

It was indeed a wonderful day of fishing but as for catching, I was on the same side of the dice as Kevin, in fact I tied with him for one bass. I must note however that mine was a barred sand bass. I checked the rule book and the barred version are worth more points in any fishing contest than spotted sand bass! It was great meeting folks and seeing those that I've met before.

Let's do it again! Glorietta Bay was a great venue. I'm so glad that Dave had found it and pushed for using it for the bbq.

JoeA.

Tod

[*] posted on 11/1/09 at 21:38 Reply With Quote

I had a great time yesterday during my first outing with the Fliflickers. I haven't had a day on the water like this in a long time. You know it was a good day when you really aren't sure how many fish you caught and your thumb is torn to threads from lipping so many bass. Thanks again to Dave for putting me on the fish. He marked up my map with his green sharpie and called me a few times to let me know where the hot bite was. It was truly unbelievable. My little boat couldn't make it to the bonefishing hot spot, but I was very content to be left with a bunch of hungry spotties. The BBQ after was also great. I realized that with scheduling my fishing time around my wife and two daughters, most of my trips are short solo outings that usually only last a few hours. Those trips are great, but sitting around a bit after a day of fishing and sharing flies and techniques is so valuable to gaining new fishing insight. Thanks again for putting this outing together and I hope to see you all soon. I attached a picture of the halibut that a caught...it was about 18 inches. Most of my success in the morning was on a "flashy" olive over white clouser. As the day went on, the fish seemed to prefer the chartreuse over white and the hot orange over ginger. Thanks again and I hope to fish with you guys very soon. I haven't learned that much in a day of fishing for quite some time...
Tod

Tod has attached this image:
DSC00253.jpg - 163.64kb
CraigC

[*] posted on 11/1/09 at 21:56 Reply With Quote

It was a great day!

My friend Craig Froley joined the outing meeting Kim Z. at the Crazy Lady's area south of the Bridge. Fished the bridge pylons, then went north after a sandwich on the boat. No luck even after Kim gave us each a SD Bay colors Orange and Tan Clouser. Thanks for the model Kim.

Wound up out by the mouth of the Harbor at the end of the runway at North Island. Great air show of the boys in F16's lookin like a run at San Clemente Island. Loaded down with smiles for Al Quaida.

Got out towards the end of the exposed jetty and past a guy with a toad Sandy. Decided to fish the area with no luck either.

Great day on the big bay. Shoulda gone south to join Randy and Dave. You guys hammmered um. Shoulda had lunch on the beach too and say hi.

Best,

Craig C.
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 11/1/09 at 22:26 Reply With Quote

Hey Tod,

I was glad to help. To see a young guy like yourself, new to the board, make the drive and trip solo (not knowing anyone other than our phone conversation) and get there as early as you did... fired up and ready to go and then hang out afterwards with a bunch of old dudes was very impressive.

Glad you enjoyed the day,

Dave
fishwalt

[*] posted on 12/1/09 at 00:44 Reply With Quote

It was a fun day even though I was on the wrong side of the dice too and only managed one spottie. It flipped off the hook and bounced out of the boat while I was getting the camera out, but Dave has plenty of pictures of those, so you all know what they look like. I guess I should have gotten up a few hours earlier to get a treasure map from Dave!

I had to find my spot on my own. I saw some pelicans working in the middle of the channel so I paddled over. I could see them resting on the surface, then suddenly a group would fly about 15 feet and dive in. I was hoping they were pouncing on bait being pushed up by some fish, but as I got closer I saw the pelicans were going after single fish jumping out of the water. They looked like jumping mullet, too big for most bay bass to eat, but I threw some cast anyway. After missing the first couple of hits I brought in this jack smelt. I've never seen jack smelt free jumping before. This one didn't stop jumping.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories, showing their special flies, and sharing the fishing tips.

Walt N.

fishwalt has attached this image:
jack smelt.jpg - 53.24kb
fishwalt

[*] posted on 12/1/09 at 00:48 Reply With Quote

There was wide tide swing, good for the fishing, at least for the others, but made getting back to shore a little bit more of a walk.

Walt N.

fishwalt has attached this image:
low tide.jpg - 198.4kb
SteveM

[*] posted on 12/1/09 at 06:41 Reply With Quote

As Dave pointed out, I was really pumped for a , new to me, fishery- That and the promise of a good day (how can it be a bad day when you get to fish some one who is as comitted as yourself, or more....!), had me up at 3a.m. - My expectations were met, and some! Stoaked to put faces, and personalitys to all the posters, I have been reading as well- I am ready to be back after them as I type! If a picture is worth a thousand words, then these clips might even be a bit better! Have a peak! http://www.motionbox.com/videos/0a99dab11b15e2ca87
ifly

[*] posted on 12/1/09 at 07:39 Reply With Quote

Seems like most of the guys in the power boats had a great day. Since I'm one in the "do not have a power boat" catagory, was the fishing much slower for the yak and float tube guys? Can only go so far with a paddle or fins.

CharlieG
 Pages:  1  2  3
Post new thread

Go To Top