fliflicker M-Board Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: Bolsa Chica Central 4-10
Mike_Hand

[*] posted on 10/4/05 at 10:35 Reply With Quote
Bolsa Chica Central 4-10

First off, thanks again to Doug for providing the virtual hot stove for us all to sit around and talk fishing.

I fished the central part of Bolsa Chica State Beach this beautiful spring morning, starting in front of the lifeguard station. There was already another fly fisherman in the surf when I got down there and a group of bait fishermen setting up their lawn chairs north of him, so I walked down to the next pocket south and started working south from there. There seemed to be a nice trough just off shore for the three-quarters of a mile or so I covered this morning. Surfers coming and going were chest deep thirty feet off shore. Fishing conditions seemed good to me, but I didn't get any grabs from the perch. I was saved from a skunking by a fat little halibut, about eighteen inches long, that grabbed a #4 orange Surf Rat point fly. As the tide rose, more wave energy made it in to shore. Despite deteriorating line control, I kept at it for several hours, expecting a burst of perch activity that never came. I gave it up when the foot traffic along the beach increased to the point I was spending more time looking for a backcast opening than fishing.
Post new thread

Go To Top