fliflicker M-Board Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: ATTENTION ALL FLIFLICKERS...The 3rd Annual Fliflicker SD Bay Day (HEAD COUNT)
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 22/11/10 at 21:49 Reply With Quote
ATTENTION ALL FLIFLICKERS...The 3rd Annual Fliflicker SD Bay Day (HEAD COUNT)

Hey guys,

Wow, has it been a year already? Wow, are we on our third event already? I spoke the event coordinator today for the San Diego Bay Bass Tournament and he confirmed their event will be held on Jan. 29, 2011 rain or shine. This leaves the weekends of Jan. 15th and Jan. 22nd wide open. Both weekends have great tides and both should fish well. Being that the 15th will come a week earlier, I'm all for the 15th. Also, if for some reason we get foul weather forecasted for the 15th we can still push it to the 22nd if needed (so if possible, pencil in both Saturdays as fishing days).

Ya or Na? Let's decide asap and get it on the books so we can all plan on it.

Dave
RichardCullip

[*] posted on 23/11/10 at 06:12 Reply With Quote

I'lve penciled in both weekends so, no matter what the weather brings, I should be there.

Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
rvrfish

[*] posted on 23/11/10 at 07:10 Reply With Quote

Both weekends work for me. I’ll keep them both open. I’m looking forward to fishing the bay.
Cheers,
Matt
Kevin

Mood: Salty

[*] posted on 23/11/10 at 16:59 Reply With Quote

I will make it if I can. That is the time of year that family and friends all go to Quartzsite, AZ for the annual Rock and Gem show. I may be all sad and pouty if I can't go fliflicker fishing!

Keep the fly on the bottom - Kevin
clouserhead

[*] posted on 23/11/10 at 17:16 Reply With Quote

I think I'm good for this year it will be fun to fish this as I missed last year.
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 23/11/10 at 19:04 Reply With Quote

For those of you who haven't taken part in a FF SD Bay Day, we usually start fishing at first light and end around 1pm. We rendezvous at the Glorietta Park around 2pm and BBQ and just hang out for the rest of the day. The Glorietta Park has a free public launch ramp right next door for the boaters and you can launch a kayak or a tube from there as well. Some guys launch kayaks and tubes from Tidelands then when fishing is done, caravan or just follow the smoke signals back to Glorietta; but as Kevin,Tod and I found out last year, there are plenty of fish to be caught in the back of Glorietta (about 200 yds from the park). Glorietta also offers rental skiffs as well. The first two events have been lots of fun, full of good vibes and I can personally say have sparked some good friendships. So if you have a chance, even if you've never fished the bay (and this would be a great way to start), plan on joining the fun and be sure to bring something for the grill.

Dave
JoeA

[*] posted on 24/11/10 at 08:20 Reply With Quote

Dave,
Thanks for undertaking this again. I've got both dates penciled in.
JoeA

unskunkable

[*] posted on 24/11/10 at 10:41 Reply With Quote

sounds good.
Malolo

[*] posted on 24/11/10 at 15:45 Reply With Quote

I will mark the days.

I will probably fish from my Hobie Revo kayak, so thanks for the information on where to launch the yaks.

Kevin
hiptothat

[*] posted on 29/11/10 at 18:23 Reply With Quote

I alway say I'll try to be there and never make it.

So this year I know I can't make it and I'll probably be there.

I'll be on a paddle board. You yahoo's with boats try not to run me over. (smile) jon
RichardCullip

[*] posted on 30/11/10 at 06:12 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by hiptothat
I alway say I'll try to be there and never make it.

So this year I know I can't make it and I'll probably be there.

I'll be on a paddle board. You yahoo's with boats try not to run me over. (smile) jon

Jon, I hope you can make it down there. I see stand-up paddle board folks quite a bit now when I'm fishing the SD Bay from my float-tube. Haven't seen one yet with a fly rod along for the ride though.

Richard
rvrfish

[*] posted on 30/11/10 at 12:48 Reply With Quote

I’m getting my tackle ready for the day on the bay and have a couple of questions.

Flies: I’m tying up a variety of Clouser’s olive/white, orange/white, blue and white and Liberace all in size 6 and 4. What other flies should I tie? (Instructions please)

Fly lines: I plan on bringing my 6wt with an integrated sinking head and a spare spool with a floating line. Should I buy an intermediate line? Any line recommendations? I found a deal on a Cortland line for < $30
I also have an 8wt with an integrated sinking head but I think that’s a bit heavy for the bay, am I correct?

Fishing: I’ll be bringing my Kayak; I haven’t decided on where to launch probably Glorietta Bay. I have an extra Kayak if someone wants to borrow it for the day. It’s a Scrambler XT with a backrest, paddle and adult medium life vest.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
flue_fisker

[*] posted on 30/11/10 at 13:20 Reply With Quote

Matt:
Last year I fished the Bay Day with my Kayak and launched from the boat launch area at Glorietta Bay. I am pretty much new to the SD Bay scene myself but I figured I would chime in and give you some thoughts based on last years experience with the kayak.

I paddled over to the large flat located in front of the Navy docks which is south of Tideland Park area. This flat runs from the bridge pretty much south right in front of the Navy docks. I am pretty sure others will chime in on spots. But this spot last year had plenty of fish and was a fairly easy paddle. I fished it with 250 grains on my 7 wt and was totally fine even when the wind and current start ripping. Based on my last year paddle experience and if paddling again this year I would fish this spot early and then based on conditions probably paddle back up into Gloreitta Bay once the wind picks up. I was catching fish at the end but the wind was blowing me around quite a bit. If you paddle back up into the Gloreitta Bay you should be able to find some sheltered areas and still some fish to have fun with.

Based on your description of flies you should be set. Everything eats size 4 and 6 clousers. If you have some in orange and tan, rootbeer and orange and of course the Liberace style you should be golden. I would be joining you with the kayak but this year I may opt to take my boat, although I really like to fish from my kayak. Good times.

See ya on the water

Adam
Malolo

[*] posted on 30/11/10 at 13:39 Reply With Quote

Matt:

I am planning on fishing from my kayak. This will also be my first time fishing SD bay. I will be using my 8 wt.

If the bay is like Newport harbor, when the water is moving due to tidal activity, the fish bite real well. Based on the excellent information Adam supplied, fishing those areas during tidal movement should be good.

Kevin
rvrfish

[*] posted on 30/11/10 at 18:10 Reply With Quote

Thanks for the information, it looks like I'm in pretty good shape tackle wise. I think I'll buy the intermediate line anyways as I have dreams of getting back to Cape Cod this spring.

I'm headed back to the vise!

Best,
Matt
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 30/11/10 at 19:28 Reply With Quote

I'm diggin' all the buzz for the bay day... it should be fun!

Matt, the majority of the time I fish a 6wt with a 200gr shooting head in the bay. I'll fish an 8wt with 300gr shooting head or an intermediate as well and even a 10wt with 400gr on occasion. The 6wt should be all you will need, but if you have the 8wt and you have the room, I'd bring that as well. You can probably leave the floating line at home. As for flies, I think you're covered with size 4 and 6 olive/white and Liberace clousers.

Dave
RichardCullip

[*] posted on 30/11/10 at 21:28 Reply With Quote

Matt, like Dave, I fish a 6wt almost exclusively in SD Bay. I'm using a fast sinking integrated head - Rio's Custom-cut Outbound (T-8 head cut back to 30ft to give me 240 grns) about 90% of the time.

The rest of the time I'm using an intermediate line - Rio's Outbound Short line (6wt Intermediate) on a second rod.

I like the flexibility that carrying two rods gives me. One to cover the deeper waters (10ft+) and one to cover the shallower eel grass beds.

Richard
studybreak

[*] posted on 1/12/10 at 19:25 Reply With Quote

Hey Matt,

I've never been too shy to not take someone up on an offer. Were you serious about lending the kayak for the day? I would love to make this event, but my only floating vessel is an OLD float tube that I am afraid to take on most lakes, let alone SD Bay. It would be really awesome if I could get out with all of you in a kayak! Let me know if you think we could work something out - I understand either way. I could throw some clousers into the deal to make me feel like less of a mooch!

-Kirk
rvrfish

[*] posted on 2/12/10 at 07:28 Reply With Quote

Hi Kirk,

Loaning out the yak is not a problem and these roto-molded kayaks are pretty much indestructible. Like Dave, I too have met a lot of cool people through this site and the one OSF event’s this is just some way for me to pay it forward.

Yes, the Kayak is available and reserved for you. Expect it to be at Glorietta bay Saturday morning. Fully rigged and ready. (paddle, seat and life jacket) You should plan on getting a wet but as the scuppers let water go both way’s.

See you Saturday the 15th

Cheers,
Matt
studybreak

[*] posted on 2/12/10 at 07:39 Reply With Quote

Hey Matt,

Thank you so much! This has been one of those (horrible, miserable, why am I doing this?) weeks at school, and reading this totally brightened my day. I will see you on the 15th! If anything changes or you want to get me more specifics as the date approaches, my email address is: kirkmorris@ucla.edu (I hope that being a bruin doesn't change anything, it's only for professional school!) I'll have half a dozen of my go-to surf clousers ready for you in return.

Thanks again,
Kirk
Dave
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2/12/10 at 18:21 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by rvrfish
I have an extra Kayak if someone wants to borrow it for the day. It’s a Scrambler XT with a backrest, paddle and adult medium life vest.

Kirk,

If you need a larger vest let me know. I have extra life jackets in large and extra large that I can 'float' you for the day.

Dave
ScottV

[*] posted on 3/12/10 at 14:21 Reply With Quote

I might try and make it down for the weekend myself. I am up near Sacramento and would probably fly down. My birthday is the 14th so it would make for a nice birthday present to myself. As time gets closer I may need to hit someone up to borrow a kayak or ride along in a boat. I really don't want to bring my float tube on the airlines, it would cost way to much.

Scott

So long and thanks for all the fish!
unskunkable

[*] posted on 4/12/10 at 14:46 Reply With Quote

Scott I have both a float tube and a pontoon. It looks like I'm coming down with my buddy Rob so I'm sure I could toss one of those in the truck for you.
ScottV

[*] posted on 4/12/10 at 21:14 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by unskunkable
Scott I have both a float tube and a pontoon. It looks like I'm coming down with my buddy Rob so I'm sure I could toss one of those in the truck for you.

Thanks unskunkable, but I have changed my plans and will be driving down. Which would be better, my pontoon with trolling motor or is there enough action close enough for just a float tube.

ScottV

[*] posted on 4/12/10 at 21:19 Reply With Quote

Hey Matt "flue_fisker, I'll see you out there. It will be nice to fish with you again.

Pages:  1  2  3
Post new thread

Go To Top