Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: Quail Lake Aqueduct Redo
fliflicker
Administrator

[*] posted on 11/4/05 at 07:25 Reply With Quote
Quail Lake Aqueduct Redo

The beach was blown out so I couldn’t resist revisiting the aqueduct at Quail Lake off of the 5 Fwy and Hwy 138 (a few miles north of Pyramid Lake) I fished it right where it goes under 138 on the south side around 2PM Friday for about 2-3 hours. I caught somewhere between 50 – 70 stripers and was hooked up or hit on almost every cast. All but one of them were about 10-11 inches. The dinks were kind of annoying really but the one decent fish (around 18-19 inches) kept me going. An incredible number of fish in there. I also saw some very large fish coming to the surface but I can’t be sure they were stripers as there are also some big cats in the lake and I know sometimes they come to the top for some reason. The duct here is wider and flatter than in Bakersfield, a heck of a lot closer. Definitely worth a look if you’re up that way…

[Edited on 4-11-2005 by fliflicker]

[Edited on 4-11-2005 by fliflicker]

fliflicker has attached this image:
QL2.JPG - 41.36kb
GT

[*] posted on 11/4/05 at 07:35 Reply With Quote
Wait, I was there on Friday...

I must have just left before you got there. I had similar results. I should have stopped at Quail on the way up to Bakersfield instead of on the way back. I'll be up there again on Friday or Saturday.
fliflicker
Administrator

[*] posted on 11/4/05 at 08:12 Reply With Quote
GT

Dang... would have been great to see you. Were you able to get past the schoolies to anything of size?
GT

[*] posted on 11/4/05 at 10:26 Reply With Quote

Most of my fish were in the same range as yours. I did get a few that were in the 18 - 20" range. They seemed to be under the smaller schoolies. Are you going back this week? I can meet you up there.
fliflicker
Administrator

[*] posted on 11/4/05 at 10:35 Reply With Quote
GT

Thursday anytime or Friday till 5PM works for me...
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11/4/05 at 14:26 Reply With Quote

Doug, it's great to hear others are venturing out to find the fish.
The Taft locals attribute some of those large surface crashes to Carp.
They roll a lot up at Silverwood and it makes your hair stand up for a second.

GT my schedule is pretty tight this week but if I can squeek it out maybe James and I can join you.

Nice new look. jon
James

[*] posted on 11/4/05 at 15:18 Reply With Quote

Nice upgrade to the board Doug. I may make it up there later this week to fish with you and Glen. I just sent you guys some good mapping images & links. It looks like there are a lot more fishy looking areas to the aqueduct above Quail lake that we need to try. James
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11/4/05 at 19:09 Reply With Quote

Thanks for the report Doug. I like the new board too! My buddy and I are planning on heading up there Friday. What flies were you using? Also, we wanted to head up thursday night after classes so we can fish and the morning and make it back to class, so is there any place around there to park/camp for a few hours. Thanks.

Jeff Hollman
fliflicker
Administrator

[*] posted on 12/4/05 at 11:02 Reply With Quote
flies

As far as patterns go, it doesnt seem to matter that much... Ive been using clousers in #2-4 something over white or all white but like I said... As far as camping theres a campground close to there. Let me check to see if its open... I will post here either way. It would be great to see you guys!
fliflicker
Administrator

[*] posted on 12/4/05 at 11:07 Reply With Quote
James

I have fished the aqueduct in years past both north and east of Quail. Some great water like you say... Im totally up for exploring if you guys want to. Ive heard stories...

P.S. Didnt get any mail from you... maybe try mail@heartbeat-music.com

Up for it! Doug
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12/4/05 at 14:55 Reply With Quote

GT - I'm glad you found some stripers on the way home. The Aqueduct near Taft wasn't very exciting that morning but it was nice to fish with you. Quail Lake is ~45 minutes from home and it sounds attractive enough that I'll have to make the drive up that way real soon. Unfortunately, I'm working this Friday - the curse of only having every other Friday off.

Richard
fliflicker
Administrator

[*] posted on 12/4/05 at 15:32 Reply With Quote
Jeff, a place to camp?

You could camp at the place below. Its just west of Gorman. Only about 15-20 min. North of the aqueduct at Quail lake. Trust me its nothing fancy but probably the only place close to camp out. Incredible stars at night if clear! I checked with the ranger and it is open.

KINGS CAMPGROUND
Description: Pinyon/chaparral vegetation.
Number of Sites: 7 sites
Directions: From the NB 5 fwy exit at Gorman and turn left heading back under the fwy. Make a right on the first street and proceed North to the entrance of the Hungry Valley SVRA and Gold Hill Road (FS 18N01) go approximately 5 miles and turn left on Kings Campground Road. Campground is approximately 1 mile east.
Facilities: fire rings, decent toilet
Fees: Need Adventure Pass only ($5/day or $30/year)
No reservations: First come, first served
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12/4/05 at 18:50 Reply With Quote

Thanks for the help Doug. Here's the plan though. We're gonna leave late thursday nigh (10-11pmish) I think it will be too late to camp so we'll just find a place to sleep in the car. We'll hit the duct at first light. Is anyone else going to be up there? Shoot me an email if someone is jeff_hollman@hotmail.com and we can exchange cell numbers or decide a place to meet up. Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm hoping to get my budy his first fish on fly and this seems like the perfect place to go!

Jeff Hollman
GT

[*] posted on 13/4/05 at 08:42 Reply With Quote

James, Doug...

Check your email boxes.

-GT
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 13/4/05 at 12:50 Reply With Quote
quail lake/ aquaduct

going to fish it soon. do you suggest fast sinking line? six wt ok? larry

fliflicker
Administrator

[*] posted on 13/4/05 at 13:41 Reply With Quote

I wouldnt fish more than a 300 gr line. Its not that deep and not much current... A 6wt should be fine for 99% of the fish in there. If the 1% big moe takes your fly, your on your own!
James

[*] posted on 13/4/05 at 13:59 Reply With Quote
aqueduct NE of quail - scouting report

doug, glen - jon and i were up there all morning trespassing and searching for fish. in a nutshell, the only place we found fish was where you were on the south side of where 138 1st crosses the duct at quail - all dinks under 12". the sweet looking duct 'structure' that is to the north and east of quail (pump stations, Y-shaped channels, and siphon gates) is all inaccessible due to dept. of water fences and controlled access areas. we worked our way to several spots on 270th, lancaster rd, ave F, and even made our way to the emptied out fairmont reservoir just south of the CA poppy reserve. no stripers came out to play with us. it could be that the cold front and gusty winds put them off the feed but i doubt it. i have a feeling that for the most part, the concentrations of fish will be found just above or below lakes that are fed by the aqueduct. taft has lake webb, hesperia has silverwood and so on...unless i get some new insight for friday, i do not think i will be going up there. james

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/Jdwyer1/ducthunting.jpg
fliflicker
Administrator

[*] posted on 13/4/05 at 16:02 Reply With Quote

Some places I still plan to check out are...

-The North end of Quail Lake at the input
-The aqueduct above Quail
-Upstream from the 300th St crossing is accessible
-The other end of the lower section below Quail

411 - I spoke to the gentleman in charge of security for the entire area. (He seemed like a really good guy) He says they are on "heightened alert" which means they do patrol the area looking for bad guys. No bikes are allowed anywhere around there because they want to limit the amount of stuff people can carry in. He told me that he understands fisherman and their desire to explore. He supports the public use of the aqueduct but has to balance that with a conservative approach to protecting the water and facilities from vandals and bad guys. He said I was welcome to explore but that his employees would have a problem with folks hanging around any of the structures. He indicated that if you were in a sensitive area they would: ask who you were, what you were doing and may ask you to leave. They obviously have the law on their side as literally all of the area is posted. He however didn’t seem interested in citing or arresting anyone. He just wants to be sure his water and facilities are protected. Nice to know there are some level headed people out there.
GT

[*] posted on 13/4/05 at 16:49 Reply With Quote

Hey Doug,

Did you happen to run into the head of security or do you have some way of contacting him? He might know of some access points that we don't see on the maps.

-G
GT

[*] posted on 13/4/05 at 16:52 Reply With Quote
Hey Guys...

It looks like our exploring is put on hold until we can find other places to access the aqueduct. I think I'm going to head over the MB hole off of 18th that Jeff was talking about on Bulla's board. 30 YFC sounds like a great alternative.

-GT
fliflicker
Administrator

[*] posted on 13/4/05 at 18:44 Reply With Quote

I called and asked around and finally found the head guy. My main reason for calling was to get some clarity on how you can tell what is accessible and what isn’t since everything, even the designated fishing areas have "No Trespassing or Loitering" signs all over the place.
I accessed the duct from 300th street and also from Pump Plant Road last year. He confirmed that 300th is a legitimate access for fishing. I also talked to him about the section above the lake and he saw no problem with exploring that area all the way up to the “Y”. (a very long way to walk) I made the walk from the Quail lake parking area to the inlet into the lake several times last year to fish the inlet and aqueduct above with mixed success.
Sounds like you guys are leaning towards the beach. I understand... A fish in the hand is better than... Especially if its in your back yard. I have one other option that I may try (not the aqueduct) I will e-mail you. Good luck either way! &TL Doug
Post new thread

Go To Top