fliflicker M-Board Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: Newport Bay 4/10/05
ShaneChung

[*] posted on 11/4/05 at 07:49 Reply With Quote
Newport Bay 4/10/05

Denis Y. and I fished the bay from 6pm to 8pm on Sunday. The tidal swing peaked at 10pm with the peak flow at 8pm. We got into the bite right off the bat. The fish landed were a mix of sand bass and spottied bay bass. Most of the takes were soft with a few solid grabs. The bass were taking you standard olive and white, chartruse and white, and orange and white clousers. Since the wind and the current were going in opposite directions; you had to kick into the wind to fish the current. We started out at Little Balboa and initially fished across the boat rows with mixed results. I picked up 4 spottied with the largets pushing 14" and the rest all identical 12". Denis got two Spotties also 12" long. We got a lot of short strikes from under the boats. Once we got to the main channel ledge Denis got the hot stick, but as they say in golf "he's got the shanks" too. It looked like a 3 to 1 ratio of LDRed fish to landed fish. I picked up a few more out there, but the take was really soft. You had to be on the ball to stick them. At first I was setting too late , then I ended up yanking the fly out of the bite zone. In the ended I was able to just stick 4 more sand bass. On the way in Denis got a nice chunky 14.5" spottie. Hopefully that is a sign that some of his bigger cousins will begin to stage as the weather stablizes. I can't wait for some of the fat mamas to show up. We also fished the flats for halibut, but none this time out. I guess I will be seeing less of the surf and more of the bay.

Shane
p.s. my prize catch of the day was Aye Image; a 40' mini yatch. Maybe it was the other way around?
Post new thread

Go To Top