fliflicker M-Board Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: Fly fishing for Clear Lake Bass?
fliflicker
Administrator

[*] posted on 11/4/05 at 15:06 Reply With Quote
Fly fishing for Clear Lake Bass?

A good friend of mine has invited me to fish Clear Lake with him for 3 days in early May. Im not much of a gear fisherman anymore... He once fished for trout on the fly but has gone over to the dark side... Can the lakes bass be fished effectively on the fly? Any advice on patterns/lines?

Help me Obe Wan your my only hope...
Doug
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 14/4/05 at 06:13 Reply With Quote

Doug,

I used to fish a good deal for bass in lakes back east. I found that an intermediate sinking line w/clousers & decievers were pretty deadly around cover, points & stick ups. Floating lines with poppers can draw aggressive strikes, try mixing up your retrieve. sometimes a slow pop & let all the splash rings settle is the things that makes them hear the dinner bell.

Good Luck,
Lane
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 14/4/05 at 08:05 Reply With Quote

I fish bunches for bass in lakes with clear water and lots of structure & weeds in Wisconsin with my fly rod using long chartruese (sp?) green or black bunny skin streamers with good success on a floating line with a long (9') leader. But that line/leader setup is appropriate for the water depth I'm dealing with (generaly 10' or less). I avoid the deep bass cuz there's enough fish in the shallows for me, and it's a lot more fun sight fishing for them. I usually spend the day in a standing & casting in a stabil canoe.

tight lines - Lane #2 (Wisgibson)
Kahuna

[*] posted on 14/4/05 at 09:52 Reply With Quote

I have had some luck with bass on a fly in some of the So Cal lakes. One more tip I'll throw in given the lake structure I typically fish. I usually fish lakes surrounded with tullies/reeds with the bass holding within that structure. I have the most action dropping the fly in as close as possible to the reeds (especially during the spring as they move into the shallows).

I had good luck using a fly with a long flexible tail (3-4 inches). Variety of materials for that, marabou, chenelle, rabbit strip. I usually put a cone head on the fly. Most of my strikes come as the fly is on the drop, moving straight down cone head first with tail wiggling down the front of the reeds. As long as I keep track of where the fly is and keep some kind of feel of the fly as it is dropping, things seem to go OK.

That being said, I have never been to Clear Lake and am unfamiliar with the structure. Good Luck out there.

Kahuna

FYI...my go to...is a chartreuse or orange cone head, puffy polar chenelle body (black or purple), and a 4" thin flashy chenelle tail (black or purple). Burn-finish the end of the chenelle tail.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 14/4/05 at 15:06 Reply With Quote

Say Hey Doug,
Sorry for the late response. I just found this topic. Here ya go amigo...

The lake is loaded with tules and pilings. Both great cover for bushwacking LMB. The bass feed heavily on panfish, crawdads, and threadfin shad. My experience around Clear Lake has been best in the Horseshoe Bend area during the spring season.

I take both floating and sinking style lines. Stout leaders and tippets 1x - 4x. I certainly work the shallows during this time of year, however, don't be afraid to cast into cover... AND, be sure to work the transition zones of 4-10 feet deep.
Cheers, Ken (Obi Wan)
fliflicker
Administrator

[*] posted on 15/4/05 at 16:23 Reply With Quote

Thanks Guys! Cant wait to go!
Videoguy

[*] posted on 17/4/05 at 05:41 Reply With Quote
Clear Lake Bass Fishing

Check the current issue ( May ) of California Game and Fish, there is an in depth article.
Post new thread

Go To Top