Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: Ascending/descending posts........ain't working
elkhair

[*] posted on 15/4/05 at 21:11 Reply With Quote
Ascending/descending posts........ain't working

Hi,
Maybe it's me.......
I could easily get to a post & it's "tree" descending from oringinal post. With the new message format, I can select "descending," and start to try & find a thread origination, but then it all blows to hell!

What am I not seeing, or understanding?? Please help, as this has been so great for me & I sure would like to think it will continue. But, in my ability to manipulate the format of the new message board, i'll have to bail! Fighting poor programs & sub-menus has never been my cup of (even.....dumbo.....) tea. And I'm one of the folks spouting, "there are NO stupid questions.!"

Sure hope some clarification exists.........Bill
fliflicker
Administrator

[*] posted on 16/4/05 at 07:29 Reply With Quote

So sorry Bill. I hope you won’t really bail on us... I for one have really appreciated your participation and have been looking forward to your reports once your wife is back on her feet again! Believe me when I say that I am with you on learning how all this works...
Heres how the messages work (as I understand it) I hope this helps!
The main Message Board page only shows a list of topics that folks have started. If you click on one of those topics it will show the topic at the top and all the subsequent responses in order below, not very different from the old board.
On the old board, when someone started a topic it would stay to the far left and every response would show below and to the right. New topics were always in descending order with the newest topic at the top of the board.
This board works differently as you have discovered. At the top of the page there are 4 items (Welcome, Posting Guidelines, How to post pictures and Cant log in - how to fix) These topics I have locked so that they will always appear at the top of the page. Eventually they will be moved. When someone starts a new topic it will appear at the top, just below these 4 items. The big difference on this new board is that every time someone posts a response to a topic the entire topic will rise to the top of the main page and be listed first. For instance… when I opened the board your topic was about the third one down the list. As soon as I posted this response your topic jumped to the top of the list, again very different from the old board.
Why is that a good thing? As the board continues to grow in popularity peoples topics get pushed down the list more quickly. They may even get pushed to another page after a few days where most folks cruising the board wont see them. By moving topics to the top every time someone responds it keeps the topic fresh and allows it to be exhausted before it gets buried in the archive.
I hope I have understood your question?

Hope to see you out there soon! Doug

P.S. If you change the setting to "Ascending" at the bottom of the main page, it basically reverses this order and shows the oldest replied to post first instead of last.
Post new thread

Go To Top