fliflicker M-Board Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: SD Surf - 7/18
RichardCullip

[*] posted on 18/7/18 at 12:08 Reply With Quote
SD Surf - 7/18

Had a good morning on the beach. Went back to Del Mar as it has recently had the best structure I've seen on a SD beach this year. The structure was still there and it's getting even better. In addition to some nice big holes there were some smaller mogul sections that have been scoured out. I'm still not seeing many fish but I threw plenty of casts into every bit of fishy looking water in my 1.87 mile walk on the sand today.

Semi-blind casting is a low percentage game but, if you keep throwing into likely water, you often connect. Today I connected with two corbina and a surf perch. One of the 3 fish was a decent size while the other two need to grow up some more.

https://i.imgur.com/30HdwCY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/v5W89vk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lQbQwZg.jpg

Had to battle a fairly stiff breeze today. Luckily it was out of the south so it blew across my body from left to right so there was no danger of impaling myself on the cast. One of the hazards at Del Mar this year is the number of off-leash dogs allowed on the beach. Thank goodness there weren't too many this morning and most were well behaved and gave me room to work the waters I wanted to cast into.

Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
SeapointFlyGuy

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 18/7/18 at 13:55 Reply With Quote

All right! That perch ain't bad and the bean is niiiice.

...and Peter said, "I am going fishing." John 21:3

- Andrew K
tigermidge

[*] posted on 18/7/18 at 18:39 Reply With Quote

I like it!
Mark
garrettlandon

[*] posted on 19/7/18 at 09:31 Reply With Quote

Nice! Good to see you got perch and the beans! I've been skunked the last few times out in Coronado and at Torrey....saw fish but no takes. The local osprey had the hot hand. Looks like a merkin was the ticket? Or is that something different with the bead chain eyes?

Garrett
Z-Finman
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20/7/18 at 10:53 Reply With Quote

Way to stay with it Richard. Try so of the same fly patterns with heavier eyes (5/16th), you may not be getting down into the feeding zone. Crabs dig for the bottom as soon as they can, and although sometimes they don't make it or get pulverized by the waves, lower in the water column is where it's at. :)

Kim Z.

p.s.- Launched out of Dana Point yesterday at 5:00am, and headed south towards the 209 in search of 70*F water that we never found. Cruised with six whales ,and a dead one getting towed 15nm out by a rescue/lifeguard boat. My daughter and I found four patties; two really big ones; but only saw one 8-pound or so YT hanging out underneath all of them, and lost another on the fly, probably about the same size. There were tons of bait balls about six miles out, but nothing underneath, save for one mini-me baracuda that hit feathers on the troll.

A few nice sandies and calico bass on the way in off the Domes saved the day, brought up on jigs and heavily weighted Clousers.
Post new thread

Go To Top