fliflicker M-Board Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: Catalina - Sat 7-28 - Anyone want to join me?
Katsuo

[*] posted on 24/7/18 at 18:29 Reply With Quote
Catalina - Sat 7-28 - Anyone want to join me?

I've got a spot on my boat (Triumph 195 Center Console) for Saturday, July 28th. I am planning to make the run over to Catalina launching out of San Pedro (Cabrillo) at first light. I am an experienced and safety-conscious captain, and occasionally, I find the fish too. Generally, we have a good time no matter what. All I ask is that you share in the gas/chum/ice expenses (about $50-75) and bring your own grub.

Reports indicate a fair bonito and bass bite on the front side. Some yellows are there too. Conditions look favorable as well.

IM, or email: katsuo@roadrunner.com if interested.

- Rob
Katsuo

[*] posted on 26/7/18 at 17:46 Reply With Quote
Spot is filled, but possible future opportunities

I've got a fishing partner for this weekend, but I'm sure I'll have other opportunities. Feel free to send me a U2U and we can plan something in the coming weeks.

Thanks,

- Rob
Katsuo

[*] posted on 29/7/18 at 09:01 Reply With Quote
Report - 7/28 Catalina frontside

Thought I'd post a quick report on how we did yesterday. It was a long day. We fished a "full" day from 6am to 6pm. The predicted Catalina Eddy with its SE winds made things a bit tough through most of the day, so I planned to wait it out until the wind-shift in the PM in hopes that we'd get an afternoon bite. The plan kinda worked.

Upon arrival, we saw cuda ripping up a bait ball. We both got bit on first casts by legal-sized cuda. But my fish was snagged by a sea lion who decided to run off about a mile or two before chomping on his catch. After the dog-delay, we returned to the area, but the cuda were gone.

The wind picked up throughout the morning, so we started drifting along instead of anchoring. The calicos were hungry, and we caught many of them. Nothing big, but always fun. Moving to another area, my fishing partner got picked up on the troll. The fish ripped off a bunch of line. He was fishing a Tibor Gulfstream on a TFO BlueWater Medium - a stout setup - so he was certain he had a yellow. Turned out to be a 5-6lb bone. Those fish never fail to impress me.

There was a lot of boat traffic, and plenty of people fishing the island. Throughout the day, we metered lots of fish, but didn't see any yellows caught. We had our best luck on calicos, of course -they're always reliable. My fishing partner did catch another 4lb bone.

Finally, about 3:00pm the SE wind died off, and the westerlies kicked in. There was no lull, however. It was like a switch got flipped, and all of the sudden, the white caps were coming from a different direction. That kind of sucked, but we stuck it out for an hour as we hit up some spots up the west end of the island - for a few more calicos.

I decided we'd better head for home about 4pm. As we charged through the sloppy seas, I noticed what appeared to be calmer seas ahead. It had laid down closer to the beach, and by the time we arrived at LA Light, it was just a gentle breeze. I rarely see that in the afternoons, so we took advantage, and fished the Wall for an hour. The late afternoon sun and a moderate current had the calicos all fired up. It was a fish a cast for us, with a few nice ones in the mix too. We called it a day at 6pm with the sun getting low. No glory fish, but still a great day on the water.

https://s20.postimg.cc/uo6sbcz7h/vlcsnap-2018-07-29-09h51m20s353.jpg

https://s20.postimg.cc/pe1tjh72l/vlcsnap-2018-07-29-09h51m45s444.jpg

https://s20.postimg.cc/s6v142zvh/vlcsnap-2018-07-29-09h53m06s098.jpg
acorad

[*] posted on 30/7/18 at 11:22 Reply With Quote

Catalina during the day, and the BW on the way home.

Perfect recipe!

Great report!

Andy
Emerger

[*] posted on 1/8/18 at 14:43 Reply With Quote

Nice report. Thanks. Nice bonita too!
tigermidge

[*] posted on 7/8/18 at 19:13 Reply With Quote

I'll go next time!
Mark
Post new thread

Go To Top