Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: Some Recent Observations on Fly Fishing Alamitos Bay 9/6/18
corvina

[*] posted on 6/9/18 at 10:47 Reply With Quote
Some Recent Observations on Fly Fishing Alamitos Bay 9/6/18

Forgot to put on my make up...
http://i.imgur.com/HPDT7dil.jpg

Catching on the fly has been slow for me from the shore in Alamitos Bay recently with high water temperatures of 76 degrees possibly having an adverse effect and a notable lack of bait fish, but the upside has been lots of casting practice with a #6 weight floating line, a 10' poly leader and an 18' 15 lb fluo leader which is about as long as I can get to straighten out by taking advantage of those persistent afternoon winds blasting in behind me and firing almost the entire 100' fly line out of the stripping basket; not that long casting is always necessary but it's good to hear that click when the last few feet of fly line hit the reel especially when the catching is slow.....Just get the line up into the air and the wind does the rest if the timing is right..
The last few evenings have seen the water temp drop though and the fish have been a bit more active as the evening light fades on the outgoing tides and the trick has been to let the ghost shrimp fly sink into the eelgrass beds and slow twitch it with frequent pauses just long enough to avoid the "eelgrass bites." The fish have been sluggish and not up for chasing flies; some takes come after letting the fly sit for a minute or so while I check emails and texts etc and other fish hit either on the drop or on the first twitch after a pause.; no rhyme or reason to any of it so it's been a case of changing up the presentation according to what is not working.....Spotties in the 8"-12" range, the odd mini Calico, and a few micro Sand Bass have been the main playmates with the occasional Butt joining the fun and apart from a few guided tours of the bay courtesy of very angry foul hooked Bat Rays which are probably the only creatures out there capable of ripping off 100 yards of 20 lb backing in the blink of an eye and putting an aesthetically pleasing bend on the #6 weight Echo 3S fly rod before straightening the rod to allow the beast to crack off the fly at the leader as opposed to getting totally spooled and potentially losing an expensive Rio fly line, nothing of any size can be reported.

Look, no hands..
http://i.imgur.com/A8Mw5rUl.jpg

Unlike previous years I have not yet seen any surface activity, boils or bait balls to date which is always exciting to cast a fly into when you can reach them. I did see a few brief bursts of bird activity on the oceanside during a couple of barren morning grey light sessions last week but they were way out of casting range and the skunk ruled... Now the holiday crowds have gone and schools are back in session the beaches are pretty much deserted in the evenings with only the local dog owners walking their pooches to worry about on the back casts so hopefully as water temperatures drop the bite will pick up in the next big tide cycle.

Been to the gym....

http://i.imgur.com/aLQTxp1l.jpg
biter

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 8/9/18 at 06:06 Reply With Quote

nice job picking off the butts
Post new thread

Go To Top