Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: First Cast Fish
Kevin

Mood: Salty

[*] posted on 9/12/18 at 14:20 Reply With Quote
First Cast Fish

There were four fly fishers this morning hitting Newport. Some of us zigged and found fish, some zagged and did not. I caught this one on the first cast, and then a few others, and then nothing. The weather was too nice and I was overdressed, but I solved the overheating problem by enjoying a couple of shore break showers that soaked me to the soles of my waders. Remind me to pay attention to the shore break. It's just a different kind of wet wading - in my dang waders!

Keep fishing - Kevin

Kevin has attached this image:
First Cast Fish.jpg - 96.75kb
biter

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 9/12/18 at 18:31 Reply With Quote

glad you zigged and got some fish -nice ones too! what was the magic fly? krabby patty?
Kevin

Mood: Salty

[*] posted on 10/12/18 at 07:40 Reply With Quote

Dang, I was afraid someone would ask about the fly. No, not a Krabby Patty. I really wished I'd paid more attention to the fly. The swell was down so I grabbed two large bead-chain eye flies from the box - easier to cast and it'll still get down on a day with small waves. I lost the fly on a big grab that broke the leader.

I just went through my fly box trying to find another fly like the one in the picture. It was some experimental job with red thread, rusty brown marabou tail (possibly UV?) with tan crystal flash, a sparkly (reddish root beer?) chenille body, and a couple of wraps of medium red palmer chenille behind the eyes to "veil" the body. All on a #6 Gamakatsu SS15 hook. I think. Close enough.

Keep fishing - Kevin
Post new thread

Go To Top