Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: Long Beach Harbor - 12/20
Z-Finman
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20/12/18 at 18:24 Reply With Quote
Long Beach Harbor - 12/20

With a 6.0’ high tide at 7am this morning, Joe Austin and I decided to head out to Long Beach Harbor to see if there were any fish hanging around on the beach. Parking on East Ocean Boulevard was at a premium today with resurfacing going on, but hey, getting there at 6am does have some benefits, and we got nice spots in the Bayshore Aquatic Playground Park lot, just a stone’s throw from the boat launch. Our first flies were in the water some fifteen minutes later, with plenty of good rips setting up to invite the fish into the shallows, sculptured by gentle 1-2’ waves.

Z-Finman has attached this image:
DF11D393-33A7-4016-B4F7-95D8F786B5E0.jpeg - 129.35kb
Z-Finman
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20/12/18 at 18:42 Reply With Quote

I started off with a 4” rabbit MOAL leech for my point fly, with a surfworm on the dropper, some four feet up the leader. I went with a two-handed rod today, using an 8/9 weight Spey rod to drive a 570 grain skagit head and 6’ of T-14 tip, plus an 8’ leader with the aforementioned flies. Thirteen feet of rod makes mending line a breeze, and handling long leaders much easier. I had planned to try a new setup if the conditions got bumpier, but it stayed pretty smooth all day, and the short sink tip wasn’t dredging bottom anyhow. Joe opted for an 8 weight, with an integrated T-14 shooting head line.

Just before sunrise, a small school of 1” baitfish appeared in the break, but other than a quartet of grebes chasing them there was nothing going on. With no love shown for the leech/worm combination, it made sense to switch to small silver/gray/white baitfish Clousers, which finally got the interest of a pair of yellowfin croaker that made it to the beach. Definitely not the halibut we were looking for, but hey, beggars can’t be choosers!

Z-Finman has attached this image:
AA0AEEBB-BB9E-4724-8CA8-47208A82F6CC.jpeg - 192.83kb
Z-Finman
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20/12/18 at 18:50 Reply With Quote

The water fell rapidly off the beach, and by 10am it was pretty much over. The two of us headed over to the Alamitos Bay side, and did a little spey casting, before heading home just before noon. Of note, fishing the beach inside the Harbor is a little difficult thiis time of year, as the floating Christmas trees and associated electrical cables definitely limit the fishable water as the tide falls. While the smoggy conditions made for a colorful sunrise this morning, the air quality was especially bad today. With the light seabreeze pushing all the crud back in, it was definitely time to sound retreat, and we were gone by noon!

Kim Z.

Conditions: Water visibility - fair to good (little to no garbage and weed today). Water temperature - 60*F. Wind - light northerly offshore breeze until 9:30am, before backing to the west at 1-2 knots. Weather- mostly clear, sunny skies, with high cirrostratus clouds
Post new thread

Go To Top