Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: A question on flys
tigermidge

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9/2/19 at 07:42 Reply With Quote
A question on flys

Has anyone fished a Pistol Pete in the Salt water?
Or add a propeller to your fly?

Mark F.
562FLY

Mood: Fish Brain

[*] posted on 9/2/19 at 19:37 Reply With Quote

To be honest I have never seen a propeller on a fly but I have seen people turn their flies into a fly spinner blade thing. Im sure the spotties will hit that with out hesitation.
tigermidge

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9/2/19 at 21:20 Reply With Quote

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pistol-Pete-Two-Pack-Spinners/1199018.uts?productVariantId=3673395&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProduc tAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03773536&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkfriBRD1ARIsAASKsQICf_G-6qoOa25sQbjfPF434_CHp2DSsYGJ-U4Lm74Wv3W5qHamC3AaApa bEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Flyfishinsteve64

[*] posted on 10/2/19 at 13:37 Reply With Quote

I bought somebodies fly tying stuff off E bay and it had some propellers and I didn't throw them away. I think one day I will put them to use. Where do you draw the line?
Steve
Kevin

Mood: Salty

[*] posted on 10/2/19 at 14:56 Reply With Quote

Hey Mark,

Adam Perez ties and fishes an "under spinner" fly for Calicos at the Wall. Sort of a hybrid between a fly and a regular old crankbait. You might be able to find his stuff YouTube or elsewhere. Adam?

And I've tied and fished a propeller fly, basically an olive wooly bugger with a propeller, and caught fish in Crowley. Can't say it fished any better than an olive Twin Lakes Special, damsel fly, or regular wooly bugger, but the propeller definitely works.

- Kevin
flue_fisker

[*] posted on 18/2/19 at 21:46 Reply With Quote

Thanks Kevin

Mark

I have been using an underspin fly for calicos and it has been working awesome. I tie a synthetic sculpin fly and then add some hardware and willow blade beneath the fly creating an underspin. It has been a real confidence fly for me. My buddy Tod and I have fished these over the summer/fall and winter, and have grown to be confidence in these patterns.

if you want to see the construction of these you can see them on Facebook at my page,

https://www.facebook.com/SoCalFlyTying/

here is a pic of the fly...

https://www.facebook.com/SoCalFlyTying/photos/a.522004087886083/2008299689256508/?type=3&theater]Underspin

hope this helps

AP

"Can you zonk me out so there's no way that I'll know I'm at work? Can I just come home and think I've been fishing all day or something?" Office Space
Post new thread

Go To Top